AREA XI NADONA MEETING MINUTES – March 14, 2018
1. Welcome & Introductions
2. Review and approval of January meeting minutes
3. Recent surveys & regulatory update
4. Infection Control & Antibiotic Stewardship discussion. Various forms available; not sure yet how
Antibiotic Stewardship is being surveyed. Expect challenges with physician ordering practices.
Need to have good documentation on signs & symptoms, especially for UTI. Shared UTI
monitoring form. Loeb vs. McGeer infection criteria; most use McGeer
Survey cites recently on:
- Need to prove employee education when resident had shingles
- Not tracking employee illnesses
5. National and State updates – Bonnie
- New partnership with Nutricia Advanced Medical Nutrition
- RN Boot Camp – end of March, spots still available
- National Conference
- Michigan NADONA will host a webinar in July and a 1 day conference in the fall
6. Nurse’s Week – May 6-12
Hospital Week – May 9-15
Nursing Home week – May 13-19 Celebrating Life’s Stories
7. Upcoming conferences
- MLN Call – Dementia – March 20
- HCAM Spring Leadership – March 21 & 22, Battle Creek
- Leading Age Regulatory Conference – March 27, Lansing
- Joint Provider – April 10 – Lansing, register online
- Leading Age Conference – May 20-23, Novi
- NADONA National – June 24-27, Grand Rapids
8. Next meeting – MAY 23 @ 1pm, China Lite Restaurant, Fort Gratiot
Topic ‘QAPI’ – Kristine WIllheim giving presentation
NADONA AREA XI – MEETING MINUTES – January 10, 2018
Thanks everyone for coming. Letters of invitation were sent out in December to all of
the other Nadona members in our area.
2. Guest – Jessica McShannock – Allmed Account Manager
- Demonstration and discussion of available equipment which aids in resident
assessment and care.
– Zoe- Fluid Status Monitor; Urisys – Urine Analyzer; bladder scanners; accuchecks;
Piccolo serum Chemical analyzer, i-Stat – Point of Care testing.
- An added service is equipment sanitizing information and tracking of preventative
maintenance on equipment.
3. Recent surveys
- Bad Axe ongoing as of this meeting
- Harbor Beach in November – cited for dirty kitchen ceiling tiles, hoyer slings lacking
stability, water not tested, C.N.A. unaware of plan of care for a resident, hand
hygiene, prn psychotropics, processing of pharmacist’s recommendations. Re-visit
was 2 days and they came soon after completion date.
4. Challenges with new regulations
- Infection control & antibiotic stewardship
- Physician review
- New survey process
- Knowing all of the regulations
5. Patti to email out new F-tag crosswalk and information on new regulations.
6. National Nadona Conference June 24-27 in Grand Rapids. Can make motel reservations
7. Suggestions for topics for next meeting – Infection Control, Antibiotic Stewardship and
new regulations. Bring your forms and we will share.
8. Next meeting MARCH 14 @ 1pm, China Lite, Fort Gratiot.
Area IV Meeting – Sept. 14, 2017
We will be having the Area IV NADONA Meeting on September 14, 2017 from 9:30 am – 11:30 am at the Colonial Kitchen on Drake Road in Kalamazoo.
Michael Goldsmith from Behavioral Care Solutions will be presenting on Non-Pharmacological Approaches to Behavioral Management.
Hope you will be able to join us for a great educational breakfast & networking.
James Preston, RN Director of Nursing
Alamo Nursing Home & Rehab Center
June 24, 2017
Last reminder for MI-NADONA Infection Preventionist Board Certification Course scheduled for June 12, 2017 in Lansing!!
May 2017 – A letter from the President:
The Board has been working on the program for this year’s convention in October! We are reviewing the comments from last year’s annual convention and developing the format for this fall’s program with your input in mind. There is also a web program being developed for mid-summer.
There have benn a lot of changes on the National NADONA level. The National Board has had two resignations and our own Shari Carson is now Vice-President of NADONA! Congratulations, Shari! We have heard from National that the By-laws have been revised and they should be going out soon for review and vote by the membership.
Nursing Home Week is fast-approaching and I wish you luck with all your activities!
Take care and have a happy and safe summer!
Bonnie Beulla RN
SAVE THE DATE: 2:00-3:00 PM July 12, 2017
MI-NADONA/LTCClinical Webinar for Nurses : Topic to be determined
NADONA/LTC Infection Prevention Board Certification Review Course:
Preparation for the Nationally Recognized IP-BC Certification.
Area IV: Educational Breakfast and Networking.
Area VIII Upcoming Meeting: Please join us for lunch and learn.
Founding FADONA Member, leader, mentor, and friend Patches Bryan sadly passed away on Friday, March 31, 2017.
She will be greatly missed.
Looking for a possible educational option for your LPNs??
NADONA Area XI Meeting Minutes – January 18, 2017
- Introductions & Welcome to Kim Koester, new DON Marwood Care Center
- Review of September 2016 meeting minutes (unable to approve, due to lack of quorum)
- Announcements – Bonnie Buella is retiring from DON position at Marwood; but continuing as Michigan NADONA president.
Shari Carson was elected to NADONA National Board as Secretary.
- Guest Speaker – Adam Schaffer from Exact Care Pharmacy
Their company provides medications for residents at home (after discharge). The meds are delivered to the home and are packaged so that the medications for each time are packaged together. The service also includes a home visit, medication reconciliation and coordination with the home care and primary physician. This program would be especially good for those residents with multiple medications; those at high risk for readmission to hospital; and those who have transportation challenges. They also accept most pharmacy drug plans. Contact information: 989 293 1023. He would come to any facility to explain program
- Discussion of how to recruit new members; Sue to bring list of facilities to next meeting.
- Discussion of possible topics for future meetings
- Upcoming conferences/trainings:
- 3/28 Joint Provider in Grand Rapids (info online @ LARA)
- 3/22-23 HCAM Spring Leadership Grand Rapids
- 4/12 – HCAM MDS training
- 5/15 HCAM/NADONA Pain conference (info online @ HCAM.org)
- 6/12 – Infection Control Preventionist training to become certified – Lansing
- 7/12 – NADONA clinical webinar
- 7/18 – Interact training by HCAM
- Future Meeting Schedule – all at 12noon, China Lite (so far)
March 8, May 10, July 12*** I just see this conflicts with webinar; will discuss at next meeting, September 13, October 18-20 NADOMA Conference -Mt Pleasant
I hope everyone had a safe & healthy holiday season! We just completed a wonderful Convention & the Board will be meeting in January to review notes from the convention & start to work on the MI NADONA Convention for 2017! The process never stops! We are looking at the Requirements of Participation that Vickie Burlew told us about the last day of the convention, as well as other educational programs that will be scheduled during 2017.
During the convention we had several new Area Coordinators step up to help us. This is terrific as now we have no areas without an Area Coordinator! Please know as a MI NADONA member you can go to any area NADONA meeting to see what others are doing at their meetings. Also keep in mind during the year our scholarship programs & the Nurse Administrator of the Year nominations. You can submit a nomination at any time, so avoid the last minute rush, nominate someone now!
We know there are many hard working Michigan DON’s out there that deserve recognition & as colleagues, we can nominate other DON’s to be recognized. It does not have to be the administrator who nominates.
Bonnie Beulla RN DON
President of MI NADONA
2016 Scholarship Award Recipients
Michigan NADONA was pleased to award two Margaret Godfrey Academic Scholarships at the November 2016 Annual Convention.
The recipients, Jim Antaya and Audria Gilliland, each received $1,000 to help with education costs as they further their careers in the field of nursing.
Jim, an LPN at Meadow Brook Medical Care Facility in Bellaire, Michigan, attended Northwestern Michigan College to become a Registered Nurse. He graduated in December 2016. Jim wasn’t able to join us at the Awards Luncheon. He did share his thoughts via email:
“Please let me express my sincere gratitude at being selected as a recipient of the Margaret Godfrey Scholarship . It is an honor to be selected. I would love to attend the MINADONA/LTC Annual Convocation but I am unable to because I must attend clinical studies that day. Please extend my thanks to the members of MINADONA.” Jim Antaya
Audria Gilliland, a CNA at Life Care Center of Plainwell in Plainwell, Michigan, is attending Kellogg Community College to become a Registered Nurse. She anticipates graduation in 2018. Audria wasn’t able to attend the Awards Luncheon either. Here are her thoughts (via email):
” I am writing to let you know that unfortunately I will not be able to attend the Convocation as I have my nursing clinical on the day of the event….I am beyond honored that I was chosen for this scholarship….I promise to uphold and honor everything that the award represents with the eventual goal and set determination of making a difference in the nursing field. I am set to take my NCLEX in December to attain my LPN license so that I may gain experience as a nurse in LTC while finishing the rest of my nursing education to obtain my RN in 2018. I am then planning on pursuing my BSN….Thank you again for this great honor and please extend my gratitude to all…” Audria Gilliland
Congratulations to these individuals who are committed to expanding their knowledge and skills in order to provide the best care possible for elderly residents in long term care.
Please Note: MI NADONA now has two scholarship opportunities. The Magaret Godfrey Academic Scholarship and The Jim Bebb Reimbursement Scholarship. Please check the scholarships section of the Michigan NADONA website (www.minadona.org/scholarships) for more information.
Cheryl Patton from Meadowbrook MCF; Area Chairperson, Renee Cunningham from Kalkaska Memorial Healthcare Center; Area 5 Chairperson, Patty McClees from Villa at the Bay; Area 10 Chairperson Chelsey Brink from Villa at the Bay; Jeanne Rice from Villa Healthcare; Eric Cuddie from WoundK-Air; Steve Armour from WoundK-Air; Beverly Morrison from Villa at Traverse Point; Barb Hulwick from Munson Healthcare; Shirley Harger from Munson Healthcare; Cheri Shippy from Hometown Pharmacy.
Hometown Pharmacy hosted the lunch and provided education on “Antimicrobial Stewardship: An Updated Look at Sepsis in the LTC Setting.” Michael Horosko provided information on sepsis and new and appropriate sepsis screening tools being used.
As always networking among the group was informational and enjoyable.
Our next meeting is planned for January 13, 2017 at Kalkaska Memorial Healthcare Center.
Kirkland Community College
June 7, 2016
November 23, 1951 - April 18, 2016 Resided in Saginaw, MI
Mary was a member of the Michigan NADONA Board of Directors as Media Chair. She will be greatly missed for all of the hours of support she gave to MINADONA and to the nursing community and her patients in her varied career.
Coordinator: Beth Beam
Meeting Date: November 18that the Colonial Kitchen in Kalamazoo with Breakfast sponsor: Remedi SeniorCare
Topic was F 329: A Resident Centered Approach to Compliance presented by William Vaughan, RN, BSN who has also worked as a surveyor but now is a consultant to CMS, working on QAPI and on advisory board for Institute for Safe Medication Practices LTC newsletter; presented work-life experiences and case studies for interactive presentation. Take home messages: importance of sound rationale for use and monitoring of all meds with clear ongoing communication with all members of team, med management as a team sport accomplished by listening to resident, family, housekeeper, therapist, nurses, physicians and lab, any symptom should be considered drug side effect until proven otherwise and regs are considered minimal standards and our goal should be to far exceed them.
Next meeting is January 20th: same time and same place. See you there!
AREA XI (Port Huron):
March 9, 2016: Fort Gratiot, Mi
Guest – Roger Piovesana, Wound Management (www.woundmgmt.com): Presentation on services available from his company; Med B billing for supplies for wound care, ostomy and indwelling catheters; consultations for appropriate supplies.
Topics of discussion:
- Reorganization at State level for “Team managers” vs. Licensing Officer and Survey Monitor
- Change to Federal and State survey teams
- Delays at State level with Life-Safety surveys and resurveys
- Changes in Medicare – managed plans, recertification’s, dual-eligibles, etc.
- Changes in management of ortho patients after surgery– i.e. Homecare after hip replacements and not inpatient rehab/SNF
- Payroll transmission requirements
- State clinical practice guidelines for side-rails/assist bars – still unclear (no survey yet)
- NADONA certifications available – DON, Infection Control Practitioner
- Staffing of facilities – difficulties, 12hr vs. 8 hr shifts, incentives, lack of CNAs in area
- Hospital contracting – McLaren, Henry Ford; smaller hospitals not as active yet
- Rehospitalizations – several facilities have hospitals connected; on-call physicians;
- Survey – no annual. One complaint survey
- Weather problems – roof leak resulted in facility moving some residents to other parts of building, did not need to evacuate to other facility; implemented fire watch
- Facility fire drills – MN drill required electronic proof from fire company that drill occurred
- Joint Provider – April 7 in Lansing
HCAM Spring Leadership – March 23 & 24 in Detroit Next meetings – May 18 Sept 14 July 13 Please contact Patti Leonard RN, MSN, Director of Nursing The Village Rehabilitation & Care Center 22600 W. Main St Armada, MI 48005 with questions ==============================================